Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hello first post



This is my very first post, so I guess I will tell you a bit about who I am and what inspires me. My name is Melissa Wittig and I am an Interior Designer. I have recently relocated from Melbourne in Victoria to Brisbane Queensland, Australia. A daunting yet exciting family adventure with many anticipated discoveries and lifestyle changes. In Melbourne I had an interior consulting business, working with clients to design and/or decorate spaces. Now in Brisbane and living amongst half unpacked boxes while we settle and find a permanent place to call home, I am looking forward to meeting new people and finding new things.

I have a strong interest in healthy homes and creating internal spaces for people to live where VOC's are reduced (volatile organic compounds). Many products within the home produce toxic fumes (off gassing) which can contribute to illness and allergies for the residents. I am always on the look out for beautiful products that contribute to healthier homes and the environment. Products that are eco friendly are often healthier for humans.


We are all so busy that looking beyond the aesthetics of a product for the home is time consuming and often rendered too hard. I hope to share with you imagery, information and references that may inspire your ideas and encourage all to ask more questions.

I love colour, pieces with character, unusual and functional spaces with an element of surprise. Not to mention a fetish for doors as they represent anticipation and reflect character. I love these doors above photographed by Frank Jakobi on flickr.com. Every home is as unique as the occupant. This blog will help me find time to appreciate design delights around me.